You might be surprised to see that title since I've said more than once how easy breastfeeding has been for Andrew and me. Well not so much anymore. :( About a week and a half ago Andrew started getting fussy while nursing. He'd pull off and start fussing/crying/whimpering. I'd switch sides and all would be well. Sometimes we'd go through this several times during one feeding. It got progressively worse to the point last Friday night where he all out refused to latch back on after a couple minutes. He was SCREAMING bloody murder. I finally gave him a bottle to calm him down, which he took with no problems. I am an absolute mess over this. I haven't cried this much during the past week since the first couple weeks after Andrew was born. It kills me to see my child in what seems like pain while he is eating. I have tried everything it seems.
Another issue is that I've been worried Andrew isn't gaining enough weight. Combined with the BFing troubles I finally called the pedi's office on Monday and requested an appt. Andrew weighed 13lbs (40th %) and was 25 inches long (60th %). So I was right that he wasn't gaining as steadily as he had been (he was in the 50th %), however, the pedi was not concerned. He has grown a lot longer though! So since we were there I brought up my concerns about BFing. I do love the pedi but I didn't love his advice. After listening to me for awhile and discussing different options he seemed to think it could be a supply issue and to just give him a bottle. I don't like that because I've heard babies can prefer the bottle and I don't want to have to pump any more than I already do. If I don't pump my supply will decrease dramatically.
So the next couple days I noticed that Andrew had been exceptionally gassy. I started thinking that maybe it was gas that he was bothered by while eating. Sometimes when I'd try to burp him after he got fussy on one side he'd be calm for a few minutes and would eat again after a burp. So... what did I eat differently that was making him scream? I finally realized it wasn't something I'd eaten but rather drank - V8 fusion. It has tons of fruits and veggies in it, some of which are gassy foods to begin with. Yesterday was the first day I did not drink it. I may have seen a little improvement during feedings but I still had to give 2 bottles plus a small one to top him off after half a feeding. Today he nursed fine when he first woke up and then did pretty well for his 2nd feeding - no crying but he didn't spend as much time eating as he usually does. I'm not hearing his stomach make crazy gurgling noises quite as much so I'm really hoping its the V8 juice and that will solve the problem.
I'm just not ready to give up breastfeeding. I have nothing against formula feeders, and realize I could end up there, but I hoped to give up BFing on MY terms, not because something went wrong. I'm going to try a few more things if it doesn't turn out to be V8 juice. If worse comes to worst I will use up my freezer stash and pump as much as I can but I will not exclusively pump. I don't respond well to the pump and I HATE pumping. We'll see what happens...
Meet the kids!
13 years ago

4 comments:
I hope it is just gas issues! I know how frustrating it can be when BFing isn't going as smoothly as it was.
Try eliminating gassy foods and see if that helps.
I hope that it is something that can be fixed easily.
Oh Amy! I hope it can be remedied completely by staying away from the V8. Keep me posted! I have so much to learn when it comes to BF'ing. I really am pretty ignorant about all of it.
have you tried eliminating all distractions and feeding him in a darker, quiet place? He may just be enjoying the letdown speed, and then once it is normal, too distracted to work at it and wanting to look around. 4 months old is infamous for that sort of behavior (like the dreaded 4 mo wakeful). I hope you figure it out soon- I know how you feel about setting a BF goal for yourself- it is nothing against formula, but a personal thing.
Have you thought about calling a lactation consultant. . .maybe even just for some phone advice or support? You can also check www.kellymom.com- great info there! Babies do start to change their nursing patterns around age 4 months. I wouldn't think it's a supply issue at this point. Just keep offering the breast, and yes, pumping in between! For many babies, gas pains are a result of milk proteins, so that may be something else to watch for in your diet. Again, not likely since you have nursed with ease up to this point. In regards to the weight gain- he is doing beautifully, not to worry! Babies will eat when they are hungry, and let you know when they are not satisfied. Good luck!
Post a Comment