Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, January 19, 2012

18 months!

Per usual, I'm super late with my monthly post. Better late than never though!  My sweet little boy is now a year and a half! How can that be?! Less than 6 months until he is TWO!  AH!  This age is so much fun. Challenging and frustrating, yes, but man can he make me smile and laugh! 

Little story.. just tonight I was running his bath while he stood next to me. I was reaching in to feel the temp of the water when I felt something warm. I look down and he's peeing all over my foot!  I just laughed and said, "really?" He had no idea what he'd done. lol

Anyway, onto the updates!

At 18 months Andrew...

  • weighs 31 lbs 3 oz (95th %) and is 34 in (90th %)  BIG BOY!
  • size 5 diapers (day and night) but thinking about moving to 6 in overnights
  • wears 18-24 month pants but now mostly 2T shirts - he has a really long torso! Just switched to 2T jammies too
  • size 6 shoe (most brands)
  • drinks on average 24oz of milk a day - still wants it warmed up
  • eating a variety of foods still and will often have what we are having
  • favorite foods currently are: anything Mexican - he loves salsa and sour cream, anything dipped in ketchup and/or mustard, salad with Italian dressing, and is still loving any and all fruit!
  •  attempts to use a spoon or "spork" and does quite well but I usually have to help him scoop the food. Sometimes it falls before it reaches his mouth. He gets frustrated and goes back to using his hands.
  • definitely down to 1 nap. 1 nice, LONG nap! Usually he goes down around noon, after lunch. At home he'll nap 3-4 hours!!!! Anywhere else it's usually 2-3 hours.
  • night sleep is unchanged - goes to bed around 7-7:30 and wakes at 6 on the weekdays and 6:30 on weekends
  • still has his pacifier for naps and bedtime. He's been very good about giving it to me to put away in a little caddy on his changing table or he'll put it there himself. He also points to it when it's bedtime because he knows he can have it.
  • has 12 teeth - his first 4 molars are all through. I don't see any new ones coming in right now
  • talking hasn't changed.. he points to everything and says "DA!" or if he wants something he points to it and says, "EHHHH!" Sometimes gets annoying but he knows what he wants and how he can let us know. (side note - pedi isn't too concerned about his lack of speech because "normal" for boys is such a wide range. I am taking him back to the pedi in 3 months instead of 6 just to see where he's at and if it's worth it to go to early intervention.)
  • is extremely smart. I have so many examples, but to shorten it - he truly understands what we say as long as we are short and to the point. Yes, sometimes he chooses not to listen but he totally understands us!
  • still running everywhere - lots of bumps and bruises!
  • big change - we flipped him to forward facing in his carseat. I know it's controversial and the recommendation is to weight until 2 but Andrew is so big and it's so hard and awkward to put him in rear facing. His legs were getting scrunched and he was so unhappy for longer than a few minutes. He is now SUPER happy and loves it. We do too.
  • loves to spin in circles to make himself dizzy. It's hysterical!
  • loves to dance any time he hears music or is watching a DVD
  • LOVES Elmo!!
  • speaking of Elmo - he watches his Elmo DVD - "Singing with the Stars" about 3 times a day. The songs are all stuck in my head and I find myself singing them in the car all the time. Ay yi yi!
  • is constantly taking things out of something and putting them back in or stacking them somewhere else. The newest thing is to take all his toys out of the basket in the living room and stack them on his mini pull out couch.
  • LOVES books but still won't let me read a book to him cover to cover. He will point to things, I'll tell him what they are, then he'll skip some pages and continue.
  • is a stickler for habits and routines - he needs certain lights on/off and knows every night that I have to turn on his humidifier, heater, and white noise. First thing in the morning he points at them for me to turn them off.
  • is obsessed with brushing his teeth. This one came outta no where. He never really let me brush them and would cry. I never would push it because I didn't want a bad association, so I'd just swipe the toothbrush in his mouth twice a day. Well, it paid off. Now he gets out of the bath and points at his toothbrush then points at the toothpaste and chews on it while I do diaper, lotion, and jammies.  In the morning he gets it after his milk and carries it around until he decides he is done. LOL
  • was HATING getting out of the tub for several weeks. He'd let the water drain out but then scream when I'd try to pick him up. Wet, slippery babies are not easy to pick up! Thankfully that's stopped thanks to his obsession with his toothbrush!
  • is SO helpful! When he sees me picking up his toys, he'll help. I'll ask him to open the garbage and he'll run to it and unlock it (yes, it was supposed to lock to keep him out - lol).
  • speaking of helpful - his new favorite thing is to feed our dog, Lucy. We ask him if he wants to feed Lucy, and he'll sprint to her dish, pick it up, carry it to the hall closet where we keep her food, open the door and point to the food. The bag is big so I reach in and fill the cup with food then give it to Andrew to pour into the dish. I then mix in the wet food and hand the dish back to him. He carries it to Lucy and then sits right by her when she eats. ADORABLE!
  • also tries to help mop up the floor! Lucy has a beard that catches and dribbles water everywhere. He's seen us wiping it up all the time, so now he finds the rag we (try to) hide behind the garbage can and will get down on his hands and knees and wipe up the water, or many times, the imaginary water.
  • loves to make faces at me and in the mirror
  • loves climbing all over our bed and letting himself fall backward. He also figured out how to climb up Lucy's puppy steps and get on the bed himself. Yep, our door is kept closed at all times now!
  • has started kissing! It's a big, open mouthed, wet kiss but I love it!
  • hugs a lot too. He'll prelude it by saying, "ahh, ahh, ahh!" in the sweetest little voice then rests his head on you (or Lucy!)
  • started throwing tantrums again. What's funny is he realized throwing himself backwards on the hardwood floor hurts his head, so he now lowers his head softly even while screaming. Too smart!
  • has started tickling people's feet. So funny!
That's all I can think of. And since this took way longer than I expected, the pictures will have to wait. So I'll do an all picture post soon. Hey, this actually gets me to post TWICE a month instead of once! :)

    No comments: