Ok new record, 3 posts in one week! Go me! :) This is a post I've wanted to write for awhile but just never got around to it and was unsure of how to say all of this. But here goes anyway...
I'm unsure if I want another child. There, I said it. I have many reasons, most of which many people don't understand. First, I'm terrified of having another miscarriage. If I have another one, this time I'll have a child and can't crawl into a hole for a few days like I did the first time. I was very, very sad, and understandably so. I don't want Andrew to have to suffer or see me in pain because of that. Second, It took us over a year to get pregnant the first time (then m/c), then a couple more months to get pregnant again. What if it takes that long again? Do I have it in me to keep my head up and be patient? Third, It took me having surgery to get pregnant. Do I REALLY want to have to go through that again? I actually told Corey that if it came down to it, I probably wouldn't have surgery again. Fourth, Can I deal with the all the anxiety I had when Andrew was first born (and for the first couple months after)? Thinking back to when Andrew was a newborn, ahhh, I was so anxious all the time. I HATE thinking back to how I felt at the time. It really stinks because of course that was just a small part of what was going on, but yet I seem to remember that most vividly. I feel like a bad mother because of that. Finally, could I love another child as much as I love Andrew? I know a lot of mothers probably have this thought, but it's true. Andrew is so special. He's my miracle. He is my first (and only, right now) child. How can another baby top that? I couldn't bear to not love another child as much. It just wouldn't be fair to him/her.
Honestly, for several months I was sure I did not want another child. Then the anxiety finally went away (most of it anyway), and I started to think that maybe I did want another child. I even got to the point of saying to Corey that maybe we would try THIS June - August for a Spring 2012 baby. Then I actually said it out loud and freaked myself out. So that idea is out the window. Ha!
So, where I stand right now, is that I'd be perfectly ok with having just Andrew. He makes me so happy, and he has fulfilled the biggest desire I've ever had. He has completely erased that year and a half (and even longer if you think about before we started TTC) where I longed for a baby more than anything else. All of the tears I cried, all the unknown, all the tests, the questions, etc. is all gone now thanks to my precious Andrew.
I'm sure that in a year or two, my desire will change. Especially as Andrew grows and becomes more independent. I'm also sure that when I hold my new niece (yes, my SIL is having her THIRD girl in July) I will probably miss having a newborn. If it were completely up to me, I could wait 3+ years to have another baby, however, Corey wants the 2nd and last child in just a couple years. He doesn't want to be "too old". He said he wants the 2nd child to graduate high school by the time he is retired. Since he wants to retire at 55, that gives me about 3 years to have this next child. YIKES.
So I guess writing this post was kinda pointless because you can see how back and forth I am with everything! :)
Meet the kids!
13 years ago

4 comments:
Your fears are totally understandable and I'm sure most moms have/had these same doubts as well. I went through a miscarriage at 12 weeks before having my first son, Adam. I just had my 2nd boy, Lucas, 5 months ago and Adam is only 19 months old. I got pregnant with Lucas when Adam was only 6 months old. I was so scared I could not love another baby as much as I love Adam. But indeed you do because they are your kids, your creation. I love both just as much and love different qualities in them. A lot of people ask me if I want a 3rd or try for a girl to complete our family, but I don't feel like I need to have a girl to feel complete. In time you will know what's right for you. Good luck!
Thanks for your comment! What you said makes a lot of sense. Just more to think about. :) Do you have a blog? When I click on your name it says your profile is not available. I'd love to read if you have a blog!
I'm sorry you are having anxiety. It is a big decision but the great thing is that you have Andrew and you can take time to decide if you want anither baby. Do what is right for you and Corey, not what society thinks is right.
Amy - I do not have a blog. I've always wanted to start one, but the thought of keeping up with it is very daunting to me especially now since I have 2 babies to take care of and I'm a SAHM. I love reading your blog, so keep it up!
Post a Comment