Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Things I Didn't Expect

I'm still working on my birth story - it is LONG! I got started on it in the wee hours of the morning the other day while Andrew was awake and content (thankfully) in my arms. In the mean time I wanted to write about some things that I've been thinking about in regards to childbirth and the days after. There was so much I read about and prepared for: exhaustion, sleepless nights, extreme joy at the birth of your child, etc., but there are many things that I just had no idea about. Some of them may seem silly to you but here goes anyway...

Childbirth: (more details will be in my birth story)
1 - I never thought my water would break on its own. I was convinced that it would have to be broken for me since I read that only 15% of women have their water break on their own.

2 - Going with #1 - I always thought my "water" would be clear. Um no. I had quite a bit of blood with every trickle and gush.

3 - I never expected to have such intense contractions (shown on the fetal monitors) and not feel them (at first). It was strange to feel my stomach tighten and hear a nurse or my husband say how strong that contraction was and not feel a thing. And this was in early labor, wayyy before pain meds.

4 - I never expected to be puking through labor AND after. Yeah, gross.

The days after:

1 - The EXTREME emotions and hormone overload. Holy crap! I'm completely happy and overjoyed one minute and the next I am sobbing like a baby (no pun intended). The worst is around dinner time. For some reason I become overwhelmed at that point, maybe it's exhaustion, I don't know. But I feel so inadequate and helpless.

2 - How AWESOME my husband would be. I mean I knew he'd be great with Andrew, but I had no idea how incredible he'd be with me and my roller coaster of emotions. I have seriously fallen in love with him over again in a new way and I am so very thankful for him.

3 - Going along with #2 - I never expected to be so clingy towards Corey. I want hugs and kisses and to be around him all the time. He took the week off of work and I dread him going back next week. I don't even need him to be doing anything. Just knowing he is in another room or just a minute away is everything.

4 - You guys are going to HATE me for this one, but I never expected to get my body back so quickly. Andrew is a week old tomorrow and I already fit into my pre-pregnancy bermuda shorts from last summer. I gained 26lbs and only have 10 more to lose. I'm sorry but I HAD to share that one!

I'm sure there's more and there WILL be more but that's it for now. I find talking and writing very cathartic. Overall things really are going well. I am very hard on myself and expect myself to be super mom so I get upset when I feel like I don't know what to do. BUT Andrew is just the sweetest little guy and I am so in love with him! I cannot believe he is mine and that Corey and I created this little miracle. I feel so very blessed.

Thank you all for the well wishes. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we embark on this incredible journey as a family! I promise my next post will be my birth story and then I'll start posting more pictures.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

thanks for this post very helpful and insightful. My baby boy is due in October and I'm already so nervous about all the details. I look forward to reading your birth story and any other details you share about the experience. And by the way congratulations!
I came to find your blog through my friend Lindsay!

whereiskendra.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

So glad things are going well and you and Corey are enjoying each other and sweet baby Andrew!!

Your a mommmy!!!

Lindsay said...

Yeah for updates!!! So glad to hear how things are going and can't wait to see more pics of your sweet baby. And for the record, I know hate is a very strong work, but I must say that I think I will STRONGLY DISLIKE you in about 5 months for #4!!!! :)

Lil'Misa said...

Yay for an update! I am glad things are going well. I am so excited for you getting back into your pre-pregnancy clothes, you go girl!