The GOOD (always have to start with the positive!):
- I am COMPLETELY in love with Andrew. He is a beautiful baby and so precious. I never once struggled with accepting him or feeling that sense of wanting. It was love at first sight.
- Breastfeeding! This is something I did not expect to be "easy". I'm very fortunate that it has gone so well from the beginning. If it hadn't I would have been even more of a mess!
- Corey is AMAZING with Andrew (and me!) Sure I take care of Andrew during the day while he is at work, but when Corey gets home either for lunch or at the end of the day, he will always offer to take Andrew especially if I need a break. I try not to wake him up in the middle of the night but he will gladly get up if I need help.
- Andrew is healthy! I must be doing something right if he is gaining weight and thriving!
- Andrew is STRONG! I've had so many people, including the pedi. remark how strong he is. Last night I was at Corey's softball game and I was burping Andrew over my shoulder. A nurse sitting next to me said she'd never seen a baby so young be able to control his head like Andrew was. Proud mama right here!
- Sleeping - this is both good and bad - when I can get him down Andrew will sleep GREAT! For example: last night I fed him at 9 then put him down - he slept until 2am! THEN fed him at 2 and he slept til 6! I got a 4 hr and 3 hr stretch of sleep. Can I say how refreshed I feel today?!
- Friends and family - we are SO lucky to have such wonderful people in our lives to help out when needed. I'm not great about asking for help but I know it's always there.
(There are more goods but I'm trying to write just a few for each)
The BAD:
- I'm convinced that Andrew is an unhappy baby. :( He rarely is awake and content for more than a few minutes before he starts fussy and just acting unhappy. It's really sad. I hope once he can interact more and actually smile that this will change.
- Sleeping - it is really hard to get Andrew to fall asleep. Well actually sometimes it's easy but then it's hard to get him to stay asleep. We have to rock him every night - usually I just let him fall asleep while nursing but I have to burp him because of gas so that sometimes wakes him up.
- GAS - my poor child has a very hard time with gas. It's strange though - sometimes he can fart and deal with it. Other times he is just miserable. Mylicon drops and colic calm (for the worst times) have been my savior
- Andrew wants/needs to be held constantly. Ok, so this isn't bad all the time because I think how these days won't last forever, and I definitely love the snuggles. But when he needs a nap, and I need a break and/or need to get things done it can be a pain. I have started to use the Moby which helps a great deal but I'm afraid he gets too hot in it.
The UGLY
- Screaming. OMG does my child have a piercing scream. He does not cry, he screams. The worst part about it is that it breaks my heart. Most of the time when he screams it's because of gas and I can just tell he is in pain. He will grab at my hands and grip me while screaming. I usually follow suit and start crying too.
Ok, after I wrote these I realize how many goods there are compared to the bad and ugly. That makes me feel so much better! I actually set out to write this post to show how difficult of a time I'm having, but really I think I might be overreacting. The bads will get better with time, as will the screaming. In reality he doesn't scream THAT much. I wouldn't go so far as to say he has colic, although sometimes I do think he has colicky moments. Hopefully he's not headed in that direction though.
If any moms out there have tips for helping Andrew stay sleeping after I get him to sleep, or what to do when he wants to be held all the time, I'm all ears! Oh and if you've ever had screaming fits - what do you do that helps? The only thing that works for Andrew is the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block. Highly recommended!
I promise next post will have pictures! :)

7 comments:
Hi. I have followed your blog for a while. Congrats on your little guy. I have a 19 month old son. I loved the Happiest Baby on the Block. Do you have the video or just the book? I, too, had a very clingy baby (great, but sometimes you need a break!). I loved the technique he demonstrates in the video using a swing. You swaddle the baby and then place them in the swing and manually give it a little side to side rock before letting the swing go on quite a high speed. Our swing had a white noise machine attached that I would turn on. He would go right out for about 45 minutes to an hour. It also keeps them more upright then lying down to sleep, which help with the gas/colic thing. Good luck. You are doing great. -Ty
I'm glad you are gaining more confidence...I'm sure you are a wonderful mother!!
i'd definitely check out the book The No Cry Sleep Solution and The Baby Whisperer. these two books helped me out tremendously in the first few weeks. and in The Baby Whisperer she has different section on how to handle different types of babies i.e. "angry" or "text book."
also, i realized a few weeks after P was born that she hated sleeping on her back. so we put her in a boppy to sleep more up-right and it worked like a charm! maybe try that or just different sleeping positions with him?
Love this post! I love hearing about "real" life... it is very informative. Glad that overall things are going well :)
Great post! It is all so true. I just wanted to let you know that I thought my son was unhappy because he fussed all the time, but it gets soooo much better. Just know that. Also, the gas thing gets better too. My son grunted for the first 3 months of his life. So loud that he would keep me up at night. I never thought there would be a time when he would be okay. Guess what?!?! He is. When you in the midst of everything, you think it will never get better. But it always seems to and then you have a new thing to deal with :) You sound wonderful. I had all the feelings you have right now - the good, the bad and the ugly. Everyone says it gets better at different points - some said 6 weeks, some said 12. For me, 4 months was a life changing point. It got better along the way, but 4 months he turned into a bubbly happy baby. The 3 to 4 month transition was incredible. Hang in there! You sound like you really have a handle on everything!
Carter has a SCREAM too. He doesn't cry he screams so I totally empathize with you on that one. Also Carter was very "unhappy" from weeks 3-8ish and then it all turned around. Those were the hardest weeks for me.
The Moby is a lifesaver but in this heat it bust be hard. I still wear Carter (yes at 9 months) and I just wear a sports bra and shorts with him in his diaper to stay cool. Try that out! :)
Great post! I love hearing what I have to look forward too ;-)
Post a Comment