Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, September 27, 2010

Baby Items

I can tell you that when I was pregnant I was CLUELESS about what to buy for Andrew. I bought the book "Baby Bargains" and read it cover to cover. I also really enjoyed reading blog/message board posts with product rave/rants. They definitely helped, however, every mom, dad, and baby is different. Regardless, I wanted to post about a few items I absolutely LOVE and couldn't live without, and the ones that I was so excited for but ended up not so impressed. Here goes..

LOVE/can't live without:

1) Bright Starts Ingenuity Automatic Bouncer OMG I absolutely love this. From what I read when pregnant it is the only bouncy seat that actually bounces automatically. All the others may vibrate, but to bouncy you have to physically do it yourself. Andrew loves this bouncer and has slept in it for about 2 months.

2) Boppy This is a must-have if you plan to breastfeed (maybe even if you aren't!) It definitely helps to have a little boost to keep baby and you comfortable while feeding. I also prop Andrew up on the boppy now and play with him. He loves it!

3) Baby Bjorn My SIL gave me her Bjorn and I just love it. I didn't think I would want a carrier like that but boy was I wrong. Andrew wanted to be held all the time during the first few weeks and this really helped calm him down. The only down fall was that it got really hot in the summer. They have a mesh one now that allows air flow so I'd suggest buying that one.

4) Chicco Cortina Travel System The car seat/stroller options were the hardest decision for me to make. I couldn't decide between a snap n' go or travel system. I decided to go for the TS and so glad I did! First, the Chicco car seat was the highest rated in Baby Bargains. Plus it is super easy to put in and take out of the car and stroller. The stroller has been awesome for walks around the neighborhood. Sure it's big and bulky but that's what you're going to get with a travel system. The stroller itself is also super easy to fold and unfold. If you go the Chicco route I suggest getting the regular 22lb carseat and not the Keyfit 35. Andrew weighs a bit over 12lbs now and I am struggling to carry him in that seat (it weighs a lot on its own) and can't imagine carrying him in that thing when he's 35 lbs! No thank you!

5) Born Free bottles I had NO CLUE what kind of bottles to buy. Everyone had different suggestions. Honestly I believe this is both personal preference and obviously what your baby likes. I wanted to have 2 different kinds to try for when we introduced a bottle. This was actually my 2nd choice. They are a bit pricey but what I like about them is the venting system that helps reduce gas, among other things. Another reason I chose these bottles was because they were supposed to have milk flow similar to a breast. I can say we've never had a problem at all with these bottles.

6) California Baby Calendula Cream Andrew had really bad baby acne, and although most doctors will say it will go away on its own, this cream helped immensely. His skin is so much clearer and softer now. I just love it. It is a little expensive but a little goes a long way.

7) Play Mat My SIL also gave me this. I just took it not thinking I'd use it that often. I couldn't have been more wrong! Andrew loves, loves, loves this thing! He is on the play mat everyday. Definitely a must buy!

Items I'm not so impressed with:

1) Moby Wrap I know a lot of people LOVE the Moby, and I can't say I hate it, but it wasn't what I was hoping it to be. It could totally be my own fault because I didn't tie it correctly, but I felt like after a little while Andrew would slide down and it would get so stretched out. I also didn't like the sound of him breathing while I would wear him. I am hoping to try it again once he has more head control so I can try a few new positions. Maybe I'll like it better then.

2) Tommee Tippee Bottles I'm not sure why I was so excited about these bottles. I guess I just really liked how different they looked and the rave reviews they got. The problem we had was that even the slowest nipple size was way too fast for Andrew. He also got a lot of gas (probably due to the fast flow) with these bottles. They do have a colic/gas reducing bottle but I haven't tried them. We just went onto the Born Free and were sold.

3) Pack N Play The link is the exact one we bought. I wanted to have the changing table add on so it would be convenient to change Andrew once we moved the PnP downstairs. I can honestly say we've never once used it. We had the PnP in our bedroom for the first couple weeks for Andrew to sleep in. He only slept in it a few times. While I'm sure we will use it more in the coming months, I can say I should have just gotten the cheaper version instead of the one with the "extras".

That's all I've got so far. I'm sure I'll have more to add to the list as I use more baby items!

5 comments:

Lil'Misa said...

So funny I hate the Bjorn and love the Moby. DH uses the Bjorn.

We used the PnP a lot from birth until he was 3 months old. After that it just collected dust. We used it mostly for changing because he didn't sleep in it often.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my travel system. We ended up moving Carter into the big boy carseat when he was 6 months because he was too heavy to lug around in the infant carrier/carseat and was no were close to the 22lbs. I highly doubt he is 22lbs now.

Great post!

Lindsay said...

Great Post!!

Lindsay said...

LOVE this post! Thank you so much for taking the time to link everything up! I'm going to print this out and may just have to make some updates to our baby registry :)

Mary said...

I LOVE my pack n play! We've always had it downstairs and that is where Zoey gets changed if we're downstairs. Plus, she likes to sit in it while I'm making dinner. Give it another month or so, you'll probably use it a bit more.

He's adorable!!

Carly said...

just catching up on your blog- i cannot believe how big he is getting! Such a happy, cute little guy :)